| April 30, 2017
Menu

TRC extends time for lodging complaints

KATHMANDU, June 16: The deadline for filing complaints related to atrocities and rights violations during Maoist insurgency has been extended by a month.

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) has extended the deadline by a month after it began receiving a large number of complaints on the last few days before the deadline that expired on Thursday.

The commission, which had begun accepting complaints from April 17, had given the victims two months to file complaints.  

As the deadline came to an end on Thursday, the commission announced the extension expecting for more complaints.

"We have decided to extend the time by 30 days as the previous deadline seemed inadequate in view of the growing number of complaints," said Commissioner Shri Krishna Subedi.

Earlier, the Commission of Investigation on Enforced Disappeared Persons (CIEDP) had also extended the deadline for lodging complaints by one month. The CIEDP has received 2,417 complaints so far.

The TRC has been claiming that it has started examining the complaints to find out whether they are associated with the insurgency as well as categorizing complaints based on the nature of the incident or crime.

"The preliminary investigation itself is a complex process and it will take time to complete," said Subedi.

Subedi said that the TRC has not been able to speed up the process in lack of technical manpower and other resources.

"We will soon meet concerned government officials to inform them about the resource crunch and the shortage of experts and technical manpower," he added.

According to Madhavi Bhatta, another commissioner at the TRC, the preliminary investigations on some complaints has been initiated even though the commission has yet to formulate a much needed investigation guideline.

Subedi claimed that the commission will formulate the guideline by next week. "We have already drafted the guideline, but we are taking time to review it as we want it conform to the international standards set by the Istanbul Protocol," said Subedi.

ed.

NC leader Gurung files a complaint
Meanwhile, octogenarian leader of Nepali Congress Kul Bahadur Gurung filed a complaint at the TRC against illegal seizure by Maoist cadres of his properties in Danabari, Ilam.

Gurung has also claimed that Maoist cadres destroyed his house and tea garden on January 13, 2005.

"I have been fighting for law and order. The Supreme Court has also asked the government to make necessary arrangements to provide compensation to victims like us as well as to return the captured properties. However, my family members, including my brothers and sisters, are yet to get back our own properties," said Gurung.

"My struggle for rule of law will continue and I have filed my complaint at TRC expecting justice," he add