USA and Ecuador both are in good shape, with their attackers capitalizing the created chances and putting them into net. Klinsmann's attackers have been solid, scoring 5 goals in two matches. Ecaudor's defence has conceded just 2 goals in group stages, which makes their defence one of the best in tournament.
After Klinsmann fielded same line up for three straight games, right back Deandre Yedlin got sent off in last match against Paraguay. Suspension for Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur defender Yedlin means, change in back four as Michael Orozco likely to come in as replacement. Impressive Demsey likely to continue his attacking front role alongside Bobby Wood.
Likely playing XI:
Guzan; Orozco, Cameron, Brooks, Johnson; Bedoya, Bradley, Jones; Zardes, Dempsey, Wood
The major doubt over Ecuador’s team selection this time around concerns the fitness of forward Miller Bolaños. The Gremio man scored in a 2-2 draw with Peru but then picked up a muscle strain that ruled him out of the win over Haiti. Head coach Quinteros could opt to go for an orthodox two-man front line, with Jaime Ayovi partnering Enner Valencia.
Likely playing XI:
Dominguez; Mina, Paredes, Ayovi, Achilier; Noboa, Motero; A.Valencia, Gruezo; Ayovi, E.Valencia
Some notable facts
- Clint Dempsey’s game-winner against Paraguay was his 51st in international play. Along with Landon Donovan (57), the U.S. is now one of 11 nations to have two 50-goal scorers and the first in CONCACAF.
- A total of six players of USA have played all 270 minutes in the tournament so far: Bradley, Brooks, Cameron, Guzan, Johnson, Zardes.
- Ecuador is led by coach Gustavo Quinteros, who was hired in January 2015 and last led Ecudaorian club Emelec to back-to-back championships in 2013 and 2014. Quinteros played for Bolivia in the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the United States.
- Ecuador’s squad includes four English Premier League players – Enner Valencia, Antonio Valencia, Jefferson Montero and Juan Carlos Paredes and a strong contingent of domestic league players.
- Ecuador has never finished above fourth in Copa America (1959, 1993).